

The munchkins had their 6 month (adjusted age) developmental check up at the Whitney Clinic at the CPMC today. They saw a neurologist, a pediatrician, and a developmental specialist. They did very well which put big smiles on our faces. They are definitely behind verbally (the specialist said Charlotte was closer to 2 1/2 months than 6 months verbally, although she was tired and around strangers to understandably less verbal than usual) but given their development in other areas, and the fact that they are twins (multiples verbalize late), the doctors did not seem to be very concerned. It was very helpful for us to understand what to look for and how to help them reach certain developmental milestones. I think that, assuming they end up w/o any special needs, it is a wonderful lesson in celebrating your children's successes and not measuring them against anyone else. Size-wise the girls are still tiny but with large noggins. So far we have not been referred to any additional testing or therapy, which is a wonderful sign. They will be tested again at 15 months adjusted, although the developmental specialist offered to visit us at home in a few months and I think we will definitely ask her to do so. And if you happen to see the girls anytime soon, please make lots of vowel sounds : )
We did find out that Dylan has a heart murmur, which we are really hoping sounds a lot scarier than it is.... we will talk to our ped. to determine if we need to see a cardiologist, but apparently in most cases with this type of heart murmur the children simply outgrow them. The murmur supposedly has nothing to do w/ the single umbilical artery in utero. Not a great thing to hear but we are hopeful that it will simply be something she outgrows over time.
Other than that we are recovering from our wild ride of sickness. Sickness and travel have caused a bit of a revolt in the sleep department and they are back to waking up once a night. Since I am by myself all but one night this week and then we go on vacation, I am sorta giving in and I figure that I will work on it post-hawaii. Andrew is slumming it at the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay for next three nights (which, it just occurred to me, is only 36 miles away, less than most people commute every day to work, but I digress). Sometimes I have to remind myself "He's not just having fun, he's working his *ss off"--literally, I say this to myself several times until the image of a heavenly bed disappears : ).
We are really excited for Hawaii, though I did have to break down and buy a swimsuit for it because I would look like Pam Anderson in my current suits...NOT FUN. I bought a one-piece for the first time in about 18 years. Anne Cole...I felt like such a MOM.
Now do these pictures look like these ladies have trouble verbally expressing themselves ? : )

No comments:
Post a Comment